Frankie Tortoise Tales Frankie Tortoise Tails sulcata care tortoise sulcata husbandry Frankie Tortoise Tails Frankie Tortoise Tails: Heavy & Hot

Frankie

Frankie

March 7, 2008

Heavy & Hot

In the morning, at least for the last month (have I written about this?) I sometimes find Frankie sleeping outside of his box. This is bad because when he does come out to sleep elsewhere, he usually ends up on the cold cement floor. So, in the morning, when I find him, he is cool to the touch. This is getting very frustrating. I don't want him getting a respiratory infection due to cool temperatures just when he is showing signs of recovering from his gastrointestinal infection.

So, must think of a solution. I used to unplug his pig blanket when he is outside for the day and only plug it back in at 10:00 pm. I figure he has gotten plenty warm from being outside and a small cool down is good in the evening. At least he seems to sleep well when he is cool (but not cold). Then at 10:00 pm until the morning, he can warm up again when the pig blanket is plugged in. Yes, I have checked the temperatures and in the box with the pig blanket the temperature ranges from 82º-85ºF.

Last night, at 10:00 pm, when I found Frankie sitting on the cold cement floor, I picked him up (!!!!) and placed him on the pig blanket outside of the box. This morning, he was 75% on the pig blanket.

I have, in the last week, actually gotten up at 3:00 am just to check to see if he is sleeping in or out of his box.

I am guessing humans go through these kinds of frustrations with children, but in the end you love them anyway. Its just they were easier to pick up when they weighed less than 35 pounds. Trouble and difficulties double when they get heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment