Frankie Tortoise Tales Frankie Tortoise Tails sulcata care tortoise sulcata husbandry Frankie Tortoise Tails Frankie Tortoise Tails: And So It Begins

Frankie

Frankie

September 1, 2006

And So It Begins

I went out to check on Frankie only to see him digging a hole in the yard.

And so it begins.

This is his first attempt at a hole since we moved here around three years ago. Since the yard is almost pure hard Alabama clay, I expected he could not dig far and up to now I was correct.

Over the last three years, I've tried hard to get organic material into the yard so we could have a lawn for Frankie to graze over. First year, it was all weeds, barely growing. Last year, clover successfully bloomed everywhere. This year I have a lawn. Apparently enough organic material is now in place that there is a layer of soil, just enough that Frankie can begin to dig. Everything that I've been told about owning a large sulcata is eventually becoming true, so buyers beware. Experienced sulcata keepers tell no "tails".
Image Reduced

No comments:

Post a Comment